Month: September 2015
In response to concerns of AAU member institutions on the continuous graduation of “job-unready” students from African Universities, the AAU Graduate Internship programme was kick-started to equip students with critical skills needed for the job market. Funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), the internship programme is currently in its second year of implementation and is open to university students in various fields of study in all AAU member institutions.
Why the AAU Graduate Internship Programme is important
- Employers increasingly want to recruit experienced graduates. It has thus become cardinal for students to be offered internship opportunities to learn practical skills whilst still in school
- Internship programmes go a long way in developing students’ skills. Students who have gone through internship programmes gain confidence and build the necessary work habits
- Through an internship programme, students get the opportunity to apply theories learnt in the classroom to a practical field.
- Internship programmes provide a useful feedback channel towards strengthening university academic programmes.
Achievements to date
In 2014, forty-nine (49) awardees were sponsored to undertake 12 – 24 weeks’ practical training before graduating from their institutions. Female students formed 33% of the total whilst the remaining were males. Eighty percent (80%) of the awardees were pursuing post graduate programs with 4% pursuing Bachelor degrees and 16% PhD courses. The 2014 grant awards were won by students from 20 institutions in 10 African countries, namely: Burkina Faso; Cameroon; Cote d’Ivoire Central African Republic; Ghana; Nigeria; Senegal, South Africa; Uganda and Zimbabwe.
Grants for 2015, were won by 50 beneficiaries from 24 institutions in 12 African countries, namely: Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zimbabwe. The 2015 edition of the internship programme covers a 12-weeks duration. Nineteen (19) of the beneficiaries, representing 26% were females, with the programmes of study by beneficiaries including Economics, Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Development Studies, Chemical Engineering, Medical Biology and Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Information Studies and Applied Mathematics.
What the beneficiaries are saying
The feedback from the 2014 beneficiaries has been very encouraging. Feedback was also sought from the host institutions and very positive responses and recommendations were received by the AAU Secretariat. Some of the feedback are listed below:
- The initiative is good. AAU should consider sponsoring many more students and also assist students with their theses work as a follow up to finish their research – Limbe Urban Council Credit Union (Cameroon)
- It is a good programme, and therefore the scope should be expanded to cover more areas – WillWay Africa, Accra (Ghana)
- I recommend that it should be a regular yearly programme to enable other students to also benefit – Department of Physics, KNUST (Ghana)
- I recommend that the programme should be run closer to the fiscal year where interns would have the opportunity of being employed – Department of Community Development, Koforidua (Ghana)
- Consider initiating inter-institutional exchange programmes – Ministry of Local Government, Kampala (Uganda)
- AAU could support the host institute for better performance – National Research Institute for Chemical Technology, Zaria (Nigeria)
How to participate in the AAU Graduate Internship
Students from AAU member institutions are invited to apply when we issue calls for application. Please follow the AAU Social Media Platforms (FaceBook, AAU Blog and Twitter) and keep checking our website for Latest news and Announcements for open Graduate Internship Calls.
The AAU Secretariat is grateful to SIDA for funding support towards the Graduate Internship Programme. AAU is also grateful to the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development of Canada that funded the SHESRA (Strengthening Higher Education Stakeholder Relations in Africa) project from 2010 to 2013 – it was through the SHESRA project that graduate unemployment was identified as an emerging security concern in Africa.
Contributed by Mr Ransford Bekoe – AAU
Misr University for Science & Technology (MUST) was established by a Presidential Decree in 1996 and in accordance with the law governing Private Universities in Egypt. MUST is authorized to grant B.A, B.S, M.A, M.S, and Ph.D. Degrees in different fields of study. All their programs have been accredited by the Supreme Council of Universities in Egypt. MUST is an active member of the Association of Arab Universities, the International Association of University Presidents and the Association of African Universities.
MUST offers programmes in the following areas
Medicine, Dental Surgery, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Engineering, Business, Mass Media, Foreign Languages, Information Technology, Biotechnology, Applied Medical Sciences, Archaeology & Tourism Guidance and Special Education.
Prof. Dr. Muhammad H. El-Azzazi is the President of Misr University for Science & Technology.
Points of interest about MUST
- The university has implemented an e-learning programme and uses the MOODLE platform
- The university is affiliated to the following institutions that help MUST deliver relevant programs – High Institute for Tourism & Hotels, October High Institute for Engineering & Technology, Souad Kafafi Foundation for Integrated Social Care, Souad Kafafi Integrated Language Learning School and Golden Panda International Travel Service Co. Ltd.
- The university is very active in publishing and conducting research in various areas. Some of the publications and research include:
- College of Medicine – http://www.must.edu.eg/Medicine/publications.php
- College of Physical Therapy – http://www.must.edu.eg/Physical_Therapy/Publications.php
- College of Engineering – http://www.must.edu.eg/Engineering/publications.php
- College of Business Journal – http://www.must.edu.eg/Business/journal.php
- College of Information Technology – http://www.must.edu.eg/IT/publications.php
- Research in the College of Biotechnology – http://www.must.edu.eg/Biotechnology/Research_Index.php
- The MUST College of Oral & Dental Surgery has a well-designed Interns’ Training Program for its students. Learn more about this program here: http://www.must.edu.eg/Dentistry/Interns_Program.pdf
The contact details for MUST are:
Revised Application Instructions for the ECOWAS Fellowship Programme 2015 Masters and PhD study for ECOWAS citizens.
Applicants that are submitting applications in response to the 2015 ECOWAS call are hereby informed that an online application form has been created to facilitate the application process. Those that already emailed their applications should also re-apply using the new instructions. Please follow the instructions below:
- Open the link from here: http://www.aau.org/ecoapp/
- Make sure that you have all the required information ready including your CV and scanned certificates
- Each supporting document that you upolad must not exceed 1MB
- You need about 45 minutes online to complete the form
- Please email the following people if you encounter challenges:
- Technical Issues with the online form: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Queries about the ECOWAS call: email@example.com
- Or telephone: +233302774495
The Deadline for receipt of applications is 15th October 2015
Please find the English and French ECOWAS Calls that were circulated by the AAU:
We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused by this change.
Tous les candidats qui souhaiteraient postuler pour le programme de bourses de la CEDEAO au titre de l’année 2015 sont informés que le formulaire de demande en ligne a été créé et peuvent dès lors postuler en ligne. Les candidats qui ont déjà envoyé leur candidature sont également priés de suivre les nouvelles instructions ci-dessous:
- Ouvrez le lien: http://www.aau.org/ecoapp/
- Assurez-vous que vous avez toutes les informations requises, y compris votre CV et diplômes scannés
- Vous aurez besoin d’environ 45 minutes pour remplir le formulaire en ligne
- Veuillez envoyer un message par email si avez des soucis concernant :
- Problèmes techniques avec le formulaire en ligne: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions relatives à l’annonce de la CEDEAO: email@example.com
- Ou appelez: +233302774495
La date limite de réception des candidatures est fixée au 15 Octobre, 2015
Nous nous excusons sincèrement pour tous inconvénients causés. Merci